Friday, November 7, 2008

My Road To The Ministry

I was born and raised Jewish, though my background was much more secular than religious. In 1996 I joined an American Baptist church in Evanston, IL called Lake Street Church of Evanston. The year before I joined, the church membership decided to change the name from First Baptist Church of Evanston. I have heard that this was quite a process, but Lake Street Church prides itself on its interfaith work and membership that includes representation of many different religious paths. The reason I was drawn to this spiritual community is exactly that - it is a spiritual community and not a religious community. I did, however find it difficult to let my Jewish family know that I was attending a church, let alone a Baptist church. Eventually I did and while I am not sure they understood, they did accept this decision.

In 2002 I moved to Colorado Springs. For more than three years I searched for the equivalent of Lake Street Church here but was unable to find one. Eventually I found a very small, independent church to attend and shortly afterward, felt called to seek ordination through this church. Once again, my family was quite supportive, though I doubt they understand. I was ordained a non-denominational, omnifaith minister last April. While I was working toward my ordination, my Colorado Springs friends were all very aware and supportive of my endeavor. So too were my friends from Lake Street Church. Now that I have been ordained, I am feeling called to step into my ministry and include it as part of my persona. I also am very open that I am Jewish. I often wonder if people find this an odd combination - possibly because there was a time that I would have found it a very odd combination.

My belief system does not include any specific religion - it is all about spirituality and my connection to Spirit. I believe that we are all sparks of the divine and that God resides in all of us. I feel my connection with God almost all the time and meditate as often as possible in order to foster this connection. My hope is to be able to help others who may want to know this connection and feel an intimate relationship with their higher power. I interface with many people who struggle with being in a place of fear, judgment, and duality. My hope is to help them find peace through realizing what it means to be in connection with God, Spirit, or whatever name they call their Higher Power.

I have found that being in connection with God transcends the consciousness that leads us into fear. Being in connection with God is being in a place of unconditional love and acceptance. There is no need to feel there is not enough. With God everything is perfect and there is peace. To all of you who might be reading this, I wish you peace. Namaste!

No comments: